Spinal Fusion Surgery – Week 5 Post-Op

As I progress through recovery, my spine will only get straighter. The updated x-rays show a near 0° curve already, which is quite the improvement since the initial x-ray on March 13.

I am looking forward to May 1, when I will finally be able to bend, twist, and lift.

Sunday, April 12, 2020

Happy Easter! It feels quite odd this year to be celebrating under these circumstances. We streamed the church service through the LCBC app. Other than that, today wasn’t much different. Although we didn’t get to gather with family and friends, it is comforting to know everyone is safe at home.

Monday, April 13, 2020

I stretched and warmed up in the morning before taking a shower. Taking a shower in the morning has been great to relieve any muscle tension and stress from the day before. I talked to a few friends on FaceTime throughout the day and worked out in the evening.

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Today was the first day I left the house since my surgery. I haven’t stepped foot outside because of my weakened immune system from the surgery and lack of allergy shots. We left for my follow-up appointment at Johns Hopkins around 10:15 a.m. They took new x-rays and Dr. Jain gave me permission to get my allergy shots. We headed there straight after and arrived home at 2 p.m. Surprisingly, I didn’t have as good of a day as I had imagined.

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

I worked out for two hours by the french doors in the afternoon before vaccuuming the downstairs later that evening. Vaccuuming was the perfect way to be productive and focus on building my shoulder strength.

Thursday, April 16, 2020

I had two friends with birthdays today, which was very exciting! I was able to FaceTime one and attend a Zoom birthday party for the other. Quarantine is quite draining, and I could not be more thankful for FaceTime to maintain some resemblance of normalcy through human connection.

Friday, April 17, 2020

I was thrilled to finally be able to get outside and get some fresh air. We walked about 4 miles from 10:15 – 11:45 a.m. I did an indoor workout by the french doors later that afternoon. It felt amazing to get outside to exercise.

Saturday, April 18, 2020

I am finally off all of my pain medication! I was still taking Tylenol and another pill to manage nerve pain, but decided to discontinue both. I tried running during our walk today; man, do I miss the thrill of running a race! Dr. Jain cleared me to start light jogging, and I could not be more excited. Exercising is the only time my mind isn’t racing. I’ve always used it as a mechanism to slow my brain down.

I am looking forward to continued progress throughout this recovery.


julia grace

Leave a Reply